Architects registered in other jurisdictions may gain reciprocity with West Virginia in two ways: application with a NCARB Certification or application with a license from another jurisdiction. Both methods of gaining reciprocity have the same fees totaling $400.00 and each are detailed below.
Architects with a NCARB Certificate
Architects outside of West Virginia who would like to gain reciprocity with West Virginia must do the following:
2. Mail the application with a check payable to the West Virginia Board of Architects for $400 ($100.00 application fee, $250.00 reciprocal
fee, and $50.00 certificate fee).
4. All applicants should review West Virginia’s rules and laws governing the practice of architecture in West Virginia at Rules and Laws
Architects with Another Jurisdiction’s Certificate
Architects registered in another jurisdiction may apply for a reciprocal registration with West Virginia by doing the following:
1. Complete a Reciprocal Application and submit it with an application fee for $100.00 payable to the West Virginia Board of
2. Request that the Board of Architects in the architect’s jurisdiction forward to the West Virginia Board a verification of the architect’s
state license including confirmation of passage of the Architect Registration Exam (ARE).
3. Request that three other architects familiar with the architect’s work but not from within his or her firm submit letters of reference directly
to the West Virginia Board of Architects.
4. All applicants should review West Virginia’s rules and laws governing the practice of architecture in West Virginia to determine their
Once all of the above information is received, the application is considered complete and ready to forward to the Board for review.
Mail correspondence to:
West Virginia Board of Architects
405 Capitol Street, Mezzanine Suite 3
Charleston, WV 25301.